The action and qualities of the liquid used in Shirodhara counter the qualities of the out of balance doshas. It soothes, nourishes and pacifies the doshas through the application of the liquid to the forehead, scalp and nervous system.
Commonly oils, coconut water, decoctions, buttermilk, and milk processed with other herbs are used in Shirodhara. Due to variations in liquids, the type of Panchakarma Shirodhara Ayurvedic Treatments includes:
- Taila Dhara: In Taila dhara oil is used as the main ingredient.
- Takra Dhara: Buttermilk is used as the main ingredient.
- Kwatha Dhara: Decoctions from various herbs are used as the main ingredient.
- Ksheera Dhara: Milk is used as the main ingredient
- Jala Dhara: Coconut water or water is used as the main ingredient.